Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
I chose this book for one of my controversial books to analyze. I'm not sure what I expected to read when I picked this book up, but I didn't initially see anything that struck me as controversial. I think if a kid is to read this he/she isn't going to all of a sudden have a huge temper tantrum or immediately cause "mischief." (at least that is what I heard was controversial about this book.) As an adult I probably pick up different aspects of the story than a child would. As adults, I think we also tend to look for the "big picture" in the books. Overall this book has a main character who is creating mischief and sent to bed without supper and then goes to faraway places in his imagination. Maybe overall I could see how some people might be skeptical about this book because of the defiance and temper of the child; but as a whole I think most kids would enjoy the wild imagination of the child and the "happy ending" of the boy coming home to a supper that is still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment