Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sugar Cane A Caribbean Rapunzel by Patricia Storace


Sugar Cane A Caribbean Rapunzel by Patricia Storace
I have never read the "original" Rapunzel, but I really enjoyed this Caribbean version. I felt like I got swept away in the story when the author writes about the essential story elements for a fairytale. The author writes about the classic good vs. evil and the hero characters. One thing I thought was interesting about this story is that Sugar Cane is taught all these different academic subjects and fine arts through "spirit teachers" that were brought back from the dead by her "keeper." Normally in fairytales the princess is just held captive and not allowed to do anything, but in this version she still is not allowed to leave the premises but she was well educated by her teachers. It also had a classic happily ever after ending which definitely had a Caribbean feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment