Monday, March 22, 2010

I never knew your name by Sherry Garland

I Never Knew Your Name by Sherry Garland
I chose this book for another one of my controversial books to read. It is a fairly simple read but it has a heavy message. It deals with a nameless narrator who notices another young boy who is always alone. At the end of the story it reveals that the young boy who is always alone committs suicide. I feel like this book can lead discussions in many different ways. It can bring up topics such as being a friend and reaching out to people, feeling and being alone, what suicide means etc. I was surprised when the age level of interest was 5-8. This topic seemed a little abstract maybe for children that age? But, at the same time it seems like there are more and more younger kids coming close or actually committing suicide in the news. I think this book would be a useful tool to bring up if the situation arises. I'm not sure if I would keep this book as a "free read" or not in my classroom library.

No comments:

Post a Comment