Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hush Harbor by Freddi Williams Evans

Hush Harbor by Freddi Williams Evans
I thought this book could also fall under a controversial category. I think it would fall under that category because of the religious and even historical elements to this story. Hush Harbor is about a story of slaves who escape to worship God and pray in secret. They obviously had to be secretive about it because if they were found singing and praying they would be beaten or sold by their slaveowner. It definitely deals with some stressful situations, especially for the young boy who has to be on the lookout for people who are trying to catch the slaves breaking their rules. It also deals with obvious prejudice too-if the slaves wanted to attend church, it had to be at a white church and adhere to the "white way" of attending church. That meant no singing or praying loudly like they would in at Hush Harbor. I really liked the book because it portrays a slice of history that is difficult but necessary to read. I like to think I would include this in my classroom to introduce some tough issues to students in a tangible and literary focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment