Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Swing by Joe Cepeda


The Swing by Joe Cepeda
Like many books, I was drawn to this one because of the cover and the mysteriously short title. I wanted to know what was so special about this swing." The girl on the cover is obviously smiling so I knew something enjoyable was to be found there. I thought this story had a unique plot as well. It's about a girl who starts swinging on a swing that is attached to a tree in her yard, and all of sudden all these things that were lost for so long (a mixing bowl, a toaster, and even their dog!) start tumbling out! I thought it was interesting how the story starts off with almost an embarassing feeling. The main character's family feels a little different than the rest of the neighborhood because they always have to borrow things from other people and it tends to not get returned by them. I thought it would be interesting to think how the reader relates to Josey, the main character, and what she's thinking and feeling about her family and their "reputation."

I also like the magical feeling this story has when Josey swings so high into the tree and she starts finding everything that her and her family lost. I like how she uses her experience for the good of her family and neighborhood. The illustrations and pictures are very vivid and the emotions are clearly showcased in them!

No comments:

Post a Comment