Thursday, February 4, 2010

Painting the Wind-A Story of Vincent Van Gogh


Painting the Wind...A Story of Vincent van Gogh
by Michelle Dionetti and illustrated by Kevin Hawkes
"She wished she could make paintings that could talk without words, as Vincent did." This is an intriguing book to me because one of my favorite paintings is Starry Night by Van Gogh. I also thought this was a unique children's book because it dealt with many difficult, but not necessarily foreign, issues such as dealing with a neighbor that everyone thinks is unstable. I thought the most endearing character in the story was Claudine, a young girl who helped her mother clean houses. Claudine noticed Vincent's paintings and became very curious about them and while everyone else thought Vincent was crazy for painting the way he did, Claudine secretly admired them. Vincent was eventually forced out of town and Claudine just had to say good-bye to Vincent. He gave her one of his paintings as a "going away gift." I really enjoyed the whimsical feeling in this book because I feel like I could really picture Vincent painting outside in windy Arles, France and the illustrations are so vivid.

No comments:

Post a Comment