Monday, April 19, 2010

Love that Dog by Sharon Creech

Love that Dog by Sharon Creech
I really enjoyed this book! I could really sense the conversation between the student and the teacher, even though the reader is only seeing the written responses of the boy. I also liked it because it seemed like an honest and authentic experience that could happen in a kid's life. Even though I thought the part about Sky getting hit by a car was terribly sad (and reminded me about my past pets), I thought a lot of kids could either relate or imagine how that event could have a certain impact on their life. I loved how the boy was supposed to write poetry, but when the book is read out loud it sounds like more of a journal (at least it does to me). Just from reading this book, I know I would want to be a teacher who is similar to Mrs. Stretchberry because she really encourages him in his work; but doesn't push too hard when it comes to certain issues. I also started reading this with a group of kids I work with after school, and they loved it! They even read some of the poems that were in the back out loud and we had some small discussions after it. I definitely would have this book in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment