Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Haitian Story of Hope-Selavi by Youme

A Haitian Story of Hope by Youme
This book is on a considerably different level as a children's book. I believe it has a social justice theme to it as well. The story concentrates on a boy (who names himself Selavi-meaning "that's life") who is homeless on the streets of Haiti. He eventually stumbles upon another street kid who offers him a family of some sorts. He is part of group of street kids who stick together and bring home food or money or whatever they can so they can all share with each other. This book is on a different level than other children's books because of the stark reality a children's book like this has, especially in light of the recent earthquake that happened there. I have to admit, sometimes my first thought that comes to mind when i read "socially charged" children's literature, I know the author is trying to illustrate a point and at first it seems very biased. But I think it's what you do with what you're reading is the most important thing. I don't think the author is "sugarcoating" what life is like in Haiti at all. I think many of us don't want to believe life can be that hard or that difficult, especially for children. These kids are having their families taken away, shelters burned to the ground and basically kicked to the curb. I think books like these are important tools to spur discussions about what is happening in the world and can bring a new perspective to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment