Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Box of Friends by Pam Munoz Ryan-Author Study

A Box of Friends by Pam Munoz Ryan
I found myself being drawn to this story as I read it. For some reason I could see myself in the main character in the story. This book is about a girl who moves to a new house by the beach with her parents and grandma. The girl feels nothing that surrounds her-the beach, the seagulls, her room, etc.- is familiar and is alos very sad that she does not have any friends here yet. Her grandma talks about keeping a box of friends to go to when she needs cheering up or wants to remember certain things. The grandma shows the girl everything that she keeps in her box that reminds her of her friends and good memories. The girl latches on to that idea of making a box of friends and realizes that she has a lot of memoralbilia she could actually add to it. In the end, the little girl ends up getting invited to a birthday party of a girl down the street. She was very worried about not knowing anyone or no one talking to her, but she also noticed that the invitation said she could bring a friend. Of course, she chose her grandma to accompany her to the party! I thoroughly enjoyed this book because the the box of friends sounds like something I have done before. I may not have moved to a new place where I didn't know anyone, but I definitely created a memory box before and loved opening them up and remembering great times with friends. It could be notes, a picture, a craft, or a toy. I loved how it was unique to me and my friends and how something so little could evoke so many smiles. I definitely would love to have this book!!

No comments:

Post a Comment